July 17, 2008

Needs and Wants

The activity driver.... Why does one take up an activity or buy something? Have we ever realised why we make a purchase? Probably while buying the commodity we dont think about the want or need. But after having bought it, we feel, was it really necessary to buy it? Would we not reconcile ourself with a surrogate? Will life not move without the purchase that we have made.There have been many instances where I have bought many things, and now they are (at least a majority of them) are lying useless. Many of the purchases that I made were not very expensive, but some of them are. Now I think about that day, Had I really given it a thought to whether I really need it I would not have been thinking about that.I was going through Tiger Woods' biography. His dad has always taught him to differentiate Wants and Needs. He is one of the richest sportsperson in the world, the guy who charges the maximum amount for endorsement. But he still believes that he does not need all that. He still believes that he needs a small house. He WANTS to play golf, and everything else is secondary to him.
Relationships - Want or Need:-Relationships, as people say are not what one wants, but needs to survive. But there are some people, who cannot differentiate between wanting a relationship and needing one. By relationship, I mean any relationship. Do we get into a relationship because we want to? No, we get into a relationship as we cherish being with people. But after a point everything changes, people change. Do we then stay in the relationship fighting time and again as we need it? No, one still stays in the relationship as one starts to want it.I hope I always am in a position to differentiate WANT and NEED. I am sure, my life will be happier.WANT: The state of needing something that is absent or unavailableNEED: Anything that is necessary but lacking; The psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal; the reason for the action; that which gives purpose and direction to behavior.
Sphere: Related Content

No comments: