July 17, 2008

Appreciating Uniqueness

Unique - Radically distinctive; The single one of its kind; Singular

I have been talking a lot about being unique and appreciating uniqueness for a long time now. Yes, I appreciate uniqueness. No matter how hard I try, I cannot be like any other person and vice-versa.
For instance, I like a person and I wish I could be like him/her. I don’t know what liking a person or loving a person is. I don’t believe in the emotion called love. It is an extension of one’s own self – for a parents it is loving the child, for a friend it is loving an alterego, for a stranger it is a person one has a crush on. It differs. It all bottles down to the same person, the person you “love” or like, or are concerned about…. All different words from the same dictionary one picks up. Appreciating people as they are is really difficult. For each person has one trait, that each one of us wants to live one moment in life. No matter how disgusting the person is, or irritating the person is, they leave at least one trait of them that we are not. I guess this is one of those moments that each one of us has to think and understand that we are close to this person, whomever we want to ape and we have never been like. Each one of us wants to ape someone or the other. Whether in our thoughts, out actions, our solitude (which I believe is the best thing to do)…I try to appreciate each person as they are, because each person has been conditioned in a different way. You know what is the worst thing to happen while appreciating uniquesness? I guess you have never given it a thought… it is the feeling that someone should be doing what we want them to do… and when someone does not act the way we expect them to act, then we are either sad, or label the person as a fool… how silly are we? Why don’t we even think that there are numerous people in this world who want us to act in a particular manner and we don’t even want to think about it, we either live our lives the way we want to, or live it the way we have to as we are circumstantial.To end this, I just want to tell you that respecting a person as they are is really important because we can never live in the same way any other person has been living. Each person has a pain within, and we can never put ourselves in their shoes and we should not even try, because we might end up hurting the pain of someone else. To have a pain and live with it is the only thing that each one of us does, and to respect others pain and the way they take it, is the least that we can do for them. Lets be human, nothing else.
Sphere: Related Content

4 comments:

RD said...

Hmmm... I appreciate uniqueness too. But I don't like to expect the person to keep up with the uniqueness. If that were to happen, then he will lose his Individuality, and that would be worse! ;(

Ashutosh Sundaram said...

Individuality... Is it not being different and unique?

aSpecOfDust said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aSpecOfDust said...

yes i can relate to this ... nice post :)